Monday, October 13, 2008

Ging-O-Lanterns?


Okay, so we were watching Super Why this morning, and it had the story of the Gingerread Man. I was feeling like doing a fun thing with the kids so I decided what the heck! I whipped out the Mrs. Fields Cookie book and found a recipe for Gingerbread Men. Then I started thinking...Isn't gingerbread men a Christmas thing? So I decided to make gingerbread pumpkins to go along with the men. I had a couple of friend come hang out while I made them and they brought there kids too. I didn't wan a bunch of kids getting into the dough so I made some edible peanut butter pay dough for them. They had a blast using the cookie cutters and eating the dough and it made my job much easier as well. Well the baking took longer then I expected so by the time they were ready to be decorated my friends had gone home so it was just me and the kids. They helped me do the first two while I was still trying to get the frosting to the right consistency, then they were distracted by eating. A lot of them got eaten before I even started to make the frosting. I got a picture of the ones that the kids helped with, but they had already started to eat them before I could get the camera. It was a lot of fun and I just had to show everyone that we still had family home evening. Even if it was during the day and Daddy was at school.

5 comments:

McAllister's said...

Edible peanut butter playdoh? Oh you have got to give me that recipe!

Angela Whiting said...

It is in the DeLange family cook book, if you don't have one let me know and I will send it to you.

Unknown said...

Funny. I wouldn't have ever thought about gingerbread men being a Christmas thing until I was halfway through the recipe either.

Dan and Sara said...

You are so creative! The cookies turned out very cute - you are a great mom!!

Becky said...

I love the cookies! What an awesome idea! Can you send me the recipe?